Sunday, May 18, 2008

Thoughts from Narnia

So, a few days ago, Sarah and I decided we wanted to read the Chronicles of Narnia again. It's been a long time since I've read them (I think I was in middle school the last time I did), and I gave my friend Clint my copy of them a couple of years ago, so I went out and bought new copies of all of the books.

You may have been told that The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is an allegory of Christ. I don't know for sure if that is how it was written or not, but I can definitely see it in the book. I just wonder, though, is it possible that the book wasn't directly written as an allegory for Christ, but that the storyline of the life and death of my Savior is just so awesome, that it makes for the best story ever told, and is used to retell other stories? Think about it...almost all of the great stories in the world, and I mean GREAT, not good, have a good king of some sort who must, in the end, lay down his own life to save that of his people. Isn't that what Christ did? And, since then, isn't it the greatest story ever told? So why wouldn't you use it as the plot for a book? Why wouldn't you steal the ideas from God and write them down?

I'm not saying C.S. Lewis wasn't an awesome writer, and I'm not saying he was a hack. I was just thinking how great the plot of Chris is, and how great a story it makes.

Over the next few days, I am probably going to be writing about insights and whatnot while I'm reading the Chronicles of Narnia. Hope you enjoy.

No comments: