Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I Wish I Were More Like Reepicheep

Reepicheep is a talking mouse in Prince Caspian and in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. He is most admirable, and always willing to do what is necessary.

When he was young, a Dryad spoke over him and said,
Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter East.

Reepicheep's life was set on course by this verse, and throughout The Voyage, it moves him to continue on. Near the end of the book (I won't tell you the ending, don't worry), Reepicheep comments that he will go on. He vowed that he would ride the Dawn Treader as far as it would go, and when it could go no further, he would lower the boat and take it as far as it could go, and then he would take his own smaller boat (perfectly sized for a talking mouse) until it sinks, and then he would swim until he drowned, ever going East until he could go no further.

I wish I had such zeal in my life for my calling. Indeed, I do my best to follow my Savior, but to be so impressed by a calling on my life that would compel me to to go ever east until I died or reached the end of the world...this is true devotion.

No comments: