Tuesday, October 2, 2007

John Rosemond

Last night I ran tech for an Upstate Mom's parenting seminar featuring John Rosemond. Here's a couple of highlights I picked up from listening. These are not my ideas, and I don't have any children, but I thought I'd share them with whoever is out there.

There are two main reasons psychology can't answer parenting problems and why using a lense of psychology will never allow you to see the true child:
1) Psychology states that we need to be concerned with a child's self-esteem above all else. There is no evidence for this belief in the Bible, which is of course what we SHOULD base our parenting on (See John Rosemond's new book: Parenting By The Book). Parents should build their children's CHARACTER, not their self-esteem.
2) Even though most psychologists push it, behavior modification (Google Pavlov, if you aren't sure about this) does not work with humans. It works with animals. There is no case where behavior modification has worked over time. Sometimes it works for a period of time due to the novelty of the modification, but it does not last. The problem is that humans have free will (to an extent...see Jim's blog on this matter).

There are plenty of other great nougats of truth which you could pull from Rosemond, so, after listening to him speak last night, even though I don't have children, I'd recommend checking out his new book. I know I will.

PS On a side note, I got to talk to John a little bit before and after the seminar last night, and he's a really cool guy, which I honestly didn't expect from a nationally renown author, columnist, and speaker. Kudos to you, John Rosemond.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.