Thursday, September 20, 2007

Doers of the Word

"Anyone who listens to the word and does not do what is says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like." James 1:23-24

How crazy would it be if I woke up, brushed my teeth, washed my face, etc., but by the time I walked out of the bathroom, I forgot what I looked like? I forgot that I have blue eyes and brown hair, a goatee that is brown with some red and blond in it, or that on most days, I am not clean shaven. That would be pretty ridiculous, wouldn't it? That's what it says in James, though, about a person who hears God's Word but doesn't do what it says. Also, remember that John says that "the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us" (John 1:14). That means anyone who has had an encounter with Christ but not followed Him, is like the man who forgets what he looks like. These are just my ramblings about it, but what if, when it says he forgets what he looks like, it means that he doesn't accurately see himself in respect to Christ? Humility isn't thinking that you are worse than everyone else; it's just seeing yourself correctly in relation to Christ: He is perfect, we are imperfect; He is holy, we are sinful; He is neverending, we are finite; He is all-powerful, all-knowing God, and we are simply man...created in His image, for His pleasure and His glory.
Today, as you go through your life, don't forget to remember what you look like. Don't forget to remember that although God is greater than we can even imagine, He loves us, and longs for us to draw close to Him.

No comments: