Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I <3 My Wife

Have I told y'all about my wife, Sarah? I know I've mentioned her in a few blogs, but I haven't really blogged about HER, so here she is:
My wife is the most godly woman I have ever met. When she reads this, though, she'll think to herself that I obviously don't know her too well if I think that she's that godly. However, to argue my point before she even brings it up, I've never met a truly godly person who believed they were godly. They believe they are trying, but know that they haven't achieved godliness. That's where my definition of godliness comes in: Godliness is the pursuit of godliness. Maybe I'll blog on that some other time, but this is about my wife. Sarah loves Jesus and she tries her best to pursue Him and seek His face, thankfully even moreso that she tries to seek me and my happiness (which is, by the way, more often than not very different than what Jesus desires for me).
Sarah is also the most compassionate person I know. When she sees others hurting or in need, she does her best to meet their needs and carry their burdens, even if it means she and I take on other burdens. For those of you who don't know us, I would never be angry or upset with Sarah for showing compassion to another person, no matter what the cost is to us. Sarah is always willing to go without things which she enjoys and things which would make her very happy so that she can help others and meet their needs before her own. I believe this is the very synopsis of the Gospel: loving others!
Sarah also puts up with a lot from me. I am currently working two jobs and going to grad school, and although my life is incredibly busy and most days are 14-16 hours long (if I'm lucky), Sarah is still the one who is sacrificing. See, Sarah's love language is quality time. One of the best ways for me to show her that I love her is spend time with her, but she understands that I do a lot, not to be doing stuff, but so that she and I can have a better life and that, a year from now, we will have more quality time than we expect to have. To some of you, quality time may not seem like a big deal. However, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that Sarah's sacrifice of quality time is a bigger sacrifice than me being tired and worn out. I know that her understanding of me being gone shows her love more than me working to pay our bills (and occasionally taking her out on the town). I believe with all my heart that her willingness to love me, be kind to me, and allow me to just sit and decompress when I get home late at night, even when she has had a horrible day, is more of a sign of Christ in her than the fact that she and I both work for a church.
Sarah knows how to encourage me. She knows that I can get really discouraged by the wrong words, and so she makes it a point to encourage me both verbally and in her actions. For our 1 year anniversary, she spent 5 months getting friends of mine from the past and present to write encouraging notes and she put them all in a journal for me. THAT'S ENCOURAGEMENT! Sarah knows what it takes for me "love tank" to run on full, and she makes it a point to do what she can to fill it.
One more thing before I'm done for the day: it may seem like a small thing, but it's a big deal to me. Sarah works hard all day long, but if I have the evening off, she makes it a point to make sure her schedule is clear. Even if she had a really hard day, she still takes the time to fix dinner (even if it's a frozen pizza) and enjoy the evening with me.
There's plenty of other things I could say about my wife, but this is a blog, not a book. For those of you who know her, you know how awesome she is. For those of you who don't, too bad...you're missing out on a friendship with the greatest woman in the world...and she's mine :-D

2 comments:

The Way She Thinks said...

I'm humbled, thanks, Hal! Love you back!

Anonymous said...

Hal,

That was beautiful. Sarah is a lucky woman also.