Monday, July 23, 2007

Eudoxus

In a comment recently, someone asked what the significance of the word Eudoxus was, so here's a short blog explaining.
First of all, you have to know that I am a math geek. I love numbers and logic, and that's the way God made me.
That being said, Eudoxus was a Greek mathematician who contributed to the writings of Euclid (Euclid's Elements is the basis for just about every Geometry book ever written). He lived from 408 BC to 355 BC.
The word eudoxus actually means "good teacher." For those of you who don't know, I am in grad school to get my MAT so I can teach high school math, and hope to one day be called a good teacher.
Of course, if you want to look at this from the spiritual perspective, there's more to it. In the book of Mark, a rich young ruler said to Jesus, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus' reply began with another question: "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone." (Mark 10:17-18). They called Jesus good because He IS God. Jesus was known as a rabbi, and the word rabbi also means "teacher." Therefore, He was and is the true eudoxus. I am just trying to emulate Him.
Jesus was the ultimate because every thing He did and everything He said was from the Father, and so it was not just good, but the best, and I strive daily to be like Christ, and, as part of that, strive to be a eudoxus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Based on your explanation I have no doubt you will make your goal and become a "eudoxus." Thank you for taking the time to explain. You are an inspirational young man!