Saturday, June 30, 2007

Flat Tires and the Comfort of God

So, yesterday morning, I got to Converse and got out of my car to find that I had a flat tire. It wasn't flat when I left home, and I didn't hear or feel anything on the drive to Spartanburg that would make me think I had a flat tire, but, BEHOLD, it was flat as could be.
Well, to make a long story short, we got the tire taken care of, and everything is fine (even though I didn't get my afternoon off to relax like I had planned).
As I was leaving Home Depot today after work, my friend Casey told me to go look at her right rear tire because it was flat. She just got her tires recently, and just got her car back a couple weeks ago from a body shop after a wreck she had. Anyway, I asked if she wanted me to change it, and she said no because her dad was heading down from Easley to take care of it. I said okay and started to leave. Well, as I got to my car, I thought to myself, "Michaelangelo (that's what I call myself), how can you let her dad drive down from Easley to take care of this when you're there and are perfectly capable of changing the tire." Again, to make a long story short, I got Casey's keys and changed the tire for her. It's no big deal; it's just a tire change. I didn't have anything spiritual in mind while doing the work, but I figured it made more sense that way.
So, fast forward 15 minutes to me leaving to head to Crossroads to doublecheck some things before Sunday morning: the Holy Spirit brings some Scripture to mind (funny how that happens when we don't expect it). 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 says, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." Now, I know that a flat tire isn't a massive affliction that burdens our hearts and minds, but it's a little thing that kind of irritates you simply because it doesn't fit into your schedule. But maybe, just maybe, God gave me a flat tire yesterday so that I would be not only willing to change someone else's today, but that I would be compelled to do it, since I know that it sucks to have a flat tire and have to change your schedule for it.
What's the point? you may be asking. The point is simply that sometimes God brings us through things, however large or small, that may be intentional on His part so that we, in turn, can be intentional in helping others. Ever thought of it that way? The next time something unexpected comes your way, even if it is something that is in your opinion bad, stop and pray about it and ask God how he wants to use this affliction for His glory through your life.

No comments: