Saturday, June 30, 2007

By This All Men Will Know

So, this blog is inspired by a friend of mine, who I'll call Raphael (his name is NOT Raphael, but how cool would it be if it was!). Raphael lives in TN and seeks the Lord with all his heart. Recently, that heart has been broken. I don't get to see or talk to him very often, but he and I have a unique connection and are still very close. Over the last week, my heart has been burdened for Raphael because of the pain he's been dealing with. Now, as most of you know, a broken heart is a pain common to most people, and yet everyone who is in his position feels as though they are all alone and that no one has ever been there before. Of course, that's not true, but just how often does how we feel reflect things we know to be true?
Anyway, I've been longing to find a way to help Raphael carry his burden. It breaks my heart to know that a Brother in Christ is struggling with pain in his heart and spirit. Isn't that what we're commanded to do? Didn't Paul write that we should "Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the Law of Christ" (Gal. 6:2)? As the Body of Christ, I think we've lost track of that somehow. Of course, when some members or a local church go through something tragic, people are there to help them, but what about the day-to-day burdens that really eat away at our strength and confidence and sometimes even our faith? Why don't we make it a point to bear those burdens for each other? I don't know if Raphael has other Believers in TN with him who are intentionally seeking him out and bearing his burdens with him, but I do know that he needs that, just like all of us do.
Where is the love that claim to express? Not in times of extreme hardship, but in daily actions. It's just my opinion, but I think if we abandoned seeking new ways to reach the lost in our community, quit trying to have bigger and better worship concerts, and stopped being more concerned about people's opinions than we are about their hearts, and then put all of that energy into loving each other wholeheartedly, unconditionally, God would do a mightier work than any we've ever imagined (He said He'd do it, ya know).
By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." -John 13:35

No comments: