Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Faith is...

I heard a quote on the radio today. I don't know who it was, but when I turned on the radio after leaving Home Depot this morning, there was a preacher who said "Faith is believing God's word and acting upon it, no matter how you feel." I just thought that was a really good definition. Faith involves a whole lot more than belief (check out the book of James if you don't believe me), so acting upon God's word is necessary to faith. In addition, I like how the preacher added the "no matter how you feel" part, because faith has nothing to do with our emotions. Sure, we are influenced by our emotions at specific times, and the Spirit uses those emotions to speak to us, but just because we're having a bad day doesn't mean our faith is less, and just because we're having a good day doesn't mean our faith is more. Chew on that for a little while.

No comments: