Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pharisees

On the way to work this morning, I was passed by a policeman. I was driving down Hwy. 31. He was going at least 75 mph (speed limit is 65 mph), and I saw him change lanes twice without ever using a turn signal.
It made me think about the fact that this man's job is to uphold the law, and yet there he was, breaking the law, right in front of me.
It's a trivial example, of course, but it got me to thinking.
In the Bible, the Pharisees and Saducees were given the task of upholding the Law and teaching others to do so, and yet, often times they were the ones breaking the Law. Was this policeman a modern day Pharisee? But I didn't stop thinking there...
How many times have I, as a child of God and an Ambassador of Heaven, broken the Law while telling others the obey it? How often have I proven to be a hypocrite? Of course, as a child of grace, I'm no longer under the Law, but that doesn't mean that I should just live how I want. It means that I should desire to live in God's will...not because I'm scared of punishment, but because I love my Savior, Jesus Christ.
How about you? Have you ever found yourself in this situation?

Lord, forgive me for being a modern-day Pharisee. Help me to live under your grace and to give that same grace to others. Help me to love you the way that you desire for me to love you. Amen.

1 comment:

Bill said...

It's nice to have your teaching back. I have really missed your perspectives!

Bill