Monday, January 21, 2008

SOnTheM 21

"Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matthew 5:48

I know it's impossible to actually be perfect, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. God views us, through Christ, as perfect and righteous. We need to do our best to live lives that reflect that.
Here are some lyrics from All Together Separate's So Hard I Try. The writer refers to himself as a tree, constantly striving to reach the sun, even though it will not happen.

There are times I feel so far
From where I want to be
But I know You've been there too
And now You're here with me

My roots' in the ground
Head's in the clouds
How I wish I could leave
I'm branching out to heaven
Bound to the dirt
But I can see the sun

Chorus:
No matter how high
I'm reaching out for what I can't hold
So hard I try
But I'm holding on to what I can't reach

In the summer it's easy to find a reason
To keep on growing strong
But in the autumn when my leaves fall
So do my hopes and I can't find a reason at all

Though storms wrestle my faith
I'll bend but I won't break
The clouds make it seem
The light is gone
But I can see the sun

Though storms may wrestle my faith
I'll bend but I won't break
The clouds make it seem
That all the light is gone, but I can see the sun

Today, reach for the Son, even if you can never completely imitate Him, strive to do so.
Reach out for what you can't hold. Hold on to what you can't reach. In doing so, be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

No comments: