The Stimulus Bill was voted on after not even being available for 24 hours. It was so long, that, even reading at an average college-level reading level, it would take 12 hours nonstop to get through it all. Now, you tell me, did every one of those government officials read it? I seriously doubt it.
Here's some pork I found out about (even though that are "no earmarks or pet projects in the bill")
- $8 billion for a high-speed railway from LA to Las Vegas (because we need easier access to major gambling so that we can win money instead of earning it)
- $2 billion for the litium-ion industry (because better batteries will stimulate our economy)
- $800 million for carbon-capture projects
- $650 million total for NASA - $450 million for "science" and $200 million for "aeronautics" (because getting to the Moon again will really help the accountant and constructions workers down the street who lost their jobs)
And here's a partial list from Foxnews.com
- $100 million for the Lead-Based Paint Hazard Control Grant Program
- $200 million to the Leaking Underground Storage Tank Trust Fund Program
- $300 million for "Violence Against Women Prevention and Prosecution Programs"
- $900 million for the IRS for the "Limitation on Administrative Expenses"
- $1 million for the Railroad Retirement Board for administrative costs
- $2 billion for the Drinking Water State Revolving Act
- $50 million for Health and Human Services to carry out injury prevention programs
- $1.1 billion for studies on the effectiveness of different medical treatments
- $200 million to upgrade labs and facilities for the Department of Agriculture "to improve workplace safety and mission-area efficiencies"
- $10 million for urban canal inspection
- $16 billion to pay for student financial aid
- $1 billion to pay for the U.S. Census
- $600 million to pay for a fuel-efficient federal auto fleet
- $650 million for the Digital Converter Box Program to help the constantly delayed transition from analog television
- $485 million to the Forest Service for "hazardous fuels reduction and hazard mitigation activities in areas at high risk of catastrophic wildfire"
- $3 billion for the Centers for Disease Control wellness programs and vaccinations
- $410 million for Indian health facilities
WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY THINKING!?!?!?