Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Electoral versus Popular

I'm just curious. How is it that Barack Obama got 52.31% of the popular vote, but 68.43% of the electoral vote, and John McCain got 46.4% of the popular vote, but 31.56% of the electoral vote? Is it possible that the electoral college, which is the basis of national elections, doesn't fit the population densities of our country anymore? I'm just wondering, because the percentages are drastically different.
For those of you who don't know me, I am familiar with the electoral college, so you don't need to explain it to me, but if you have any thoughts on the subject, feel free to leave a comment.

(And, in case you're wondering, I'm not trying to stir up controversy. Obama won whether you work with electoral votes or popular vote. I'm not trying to say that McCain had the majority. I'm just saying it doesn't add up.)

No comments: