Monday, February 25, 2008

SOnTheM 35

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:7-11

I'm reminded of a time when my friend Nate and I were in Greer, SC. Without giving too many details (because most of the details allude to my own stupidity), I'll say that our adventure ended with me twisting a chassis support in my Bravada. Well, when I told my dad, he wasn't too thrilled. A couple of days later, he drove from Summerville to Tigerville (about 3 1/2 hours, give or take) to look at the car. He was prepared to rent a car dolly, and tow the Bravada back to Summerville to have it fixed (and to remain there indefinitely). Well, instead, he left the Bravada with me (though it was undriveable) and a few days later, he returned with the part needed to fix it. He spent the day in the parking lot of North Greenville under my car, fixing the problem. Then he went back to Summerville.
I think what Jesus was saying was something like this: If you, even though you have evil in your hearts, are willing to take two full days off of work, drive a total of 14-15 hours, spent a day working on a car which a stupid college student messed up, just because you love your son and want him to have a car, how much more must God love us? I can't really answer that question...God's love is neverending. Even His wrath is spawned from His love.

May you know God's love for you today. May you spend the rest of your life trying to return it.

No comments: